superbarista

blog from the ceo & superbarista of phoenix coffee, home of the best baristas in cleveland, ohio

Friday, May 06, 2005

Socrates Cafe

So I think we are going to start these at the Lee Road store, and I just emailed Julie to ask her if she wanted to also do them at Lakewood. What a cool way to develop genuine dialogue and communication between people. I heard about it on NPR. http://www.philosopher.org The Society for Philosophical Inquiry, founded by author Chris Phillips and his wife, provides a guide for facilitating these discussions. It sounds ambitious but important. Anyone interested in facilitating one of these discussions? Read the guidelines posted on the website.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Hess said...

Shalom Sarah,

The Cleveland Heights Socrates Cafe has been meeting since October '02. We used to meet at Arabica/Varietals, but moved a few months ago to Nighttown. We meet the second Tuesday of the month (the next one is this coming Tuesday) from 7:30 to 9:30. We’d love to have you join us.

There's nothing, of course, that says Cleveland Heights isn't big enough for a lot of these.

I'm sending you a copy of the most recent announcement.

B'shalom,

Jeff

4:47 AM, May 07, 2005  
Blogger Christine Borne said...

Last year at the Shaker Heights Library a colleague and I put together a series where we invited people of the most visible political persuasions (i.e., democrats, republicans, greens, libertarians, etc.) to discuss the important election issues with community members. It went well, I thought - people didn't fight. It's always more civilized when you're face to face, I think. Here are two more sites I used to help formulate the plan:

Let's Talk America
Conversation Cafe

I'd like to try and do something like that in my new library, but I don't think there *are* any Democrats around here :(

2:28 PM, May 08, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home