superbarista

blog from the ceo & superbarista of phoenix coffee, home of the best baristas in cleveland, ohio

Monday, January 09, 2006

8 ounce beverages

Jeff Hess sent me a link to an interesting article about ordering 8 ounce cappuccinos from Starbucks. It's timely that he sent this, because over the past couple of months Julie (owner of Phoenix Lakewood) and I have been discussing the value of 8 ounce beverages. We feel that serving 8 ounce beverages would help us to do our part to counteract the supersizing of America. In general, I only drink about 8 ounces of coffee at a time anyway, and I think others might enjoy a smaller size as well. Of course, the author of the article is correct. The profit margin on an 8 ounce beverage is smaller than the margin on a 12 or 16 or 20 ounce beverage. But we still think that the benefits might outweigh the smaller margin. We would be one of the only places with an advertised 8 ounce beverage (ours would make the menu board, I think). So I made a call to our paper supplier to ask if he could get the ball rolling on printing 8 ounce cups for us. He hasn't gotten back to me even though I called him before Christmas. I'll keep bugging him, though.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Hess said...

Shalom Sarah,

Bravo!

B'shalom,

Jeff

p.s. think of the marketing angle... you don't sell someone on 8 oz beverage, you sell them two! one to shoot in coffee house and one for the road. with the right spin, it could work. you'd be creating an new coolness.

4:23 PM, January 10, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home