superbarista

blog from the ceo & superbarista of phoenix coffee, home of the best baristas in cleveland, ohio

Friday, August 25, 2006

A mound of white powder on a gram scale

..at 6 pm on a Friday night. What kind of job do I have after all? I am a commodities dealer, coffee just so happens to be legal. The white powders in this case were salt and sugar, which I was weighing in order to prepare the reference solutions for the "Test Your Taste" Seminar tomorrow. I had two tables covered with empty water jugs, water bottles, measuring cups, scale, lemons for making the sour solutions, more measuring cups, 5 gallon jugs; it was all I could do to keep track of what was where. Thank goodness for Dawn's excellent sense of organization that had preceded me when she prepared the first round of reference solutions. Tomorrow, in addition to doing the taste test itself, we'll be discussing the number of tastebuds each of us has, the mysterious fifth taste called "Umami" and hopefully discovering if any of us are what is called "supertasters".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home